Friday, March 14, 2008

At Least it's Friday


Sometimes I want to be such a selfish bastard. Like now for instance. I want to say to Sue, "Screw your vacation, you get back here right NOW!"

Yeah right.

It's truly a case of jealousy and longing both rolled into one. I am so jealous of where she's at and what she's experiencing. I'm jealous of the weather, jealous of the lonely clothing-optional beaches, jealous of the smells, the sounds, the sights. Hawaii is truly an experience of the senses, and she's reveling in it. Sure, I could have probably gone along too, but this was Suzie's trip. It was her vacation. The first time I think, ever, that she was able to go solo on a vacation that she so richly deserves. For someone that's a devoted mother and head-of-household, to be able to do this is truly a sign of success. She has done a fantastic job of raising a family from what I've seen. She has earned the right to spend some time doing what she wants to do--To eat what she wants, go where she wants, or even just lie on the beach for hours without hearing someone grumble about being hungry or bored or any of a multitude of things a mother is used to hearing.

The longing? She's been on my mind all week long. I want so badly to see her, talk to her, hold her, love her. I guess I should thank my lucky stars that we live in this day and age, because even though we're so far apart there are still cell phones, emails, and pictures that can be transmitted instantly anywhere in the world. A good example could be when she called me while sitting on a beach the other day and held her phone out from her, allowing me to hear the surf pounding the beach. It was so weird--To be sitting here under the gray, rainy Washington skies while listening to the warm tropical waves of Kauai in real-time. Thank you technology, but sometimes you don't make things easier to take mentally! I guess I'm lucky because at least I get to see her before anyone else does when she arrives Monday morning. Whoops, I guess that was another selfish moment...

I finished off my work week today by paying a visit to my little Korean barber lady for a haircut after work. After I got back here and had a beer and checked my email, I phoned in an order for a Papa Murphy's Cowboy pizza. Yes, it's kind of a little way of signaling the end of my work week--Much like when I buy a special beer on some Fridays (but not this time).

You know, I'd really like to have Suzie here to share it with...

1 comment:

Sue Z Q said...

Hang in there babe, just a couple more days. Then you'll have me back & I'll be back there in cold, wet, deary Washington with you!

Could you be any more selfish!?!?!?