Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter!


Easter in my family is not a religious event really. While some family members do regularly attend church, our family Easter event is but a gathering to eat, drink, and yak.

Every year it's hosted by my mother at their house. While we did have it at my house a few years back when I was still married, it's never happened anywhere else before or since. Why? My dad. Everyone totally loved having it at our house that year because there was a lot more room, things to do (ping pong, etc) and there was no smoking. See, back then my dad was a smoker and their house always reeked of smoke, and after leaving their house so did we. We stopped having it after that because my dad was totally miserable. He couldn't sit in his easy chair, watch his channels, smoke in the house, and worst of all, he didn't get any leftovers. He is so selfish with their feast food that he flat gets mad if mom sends any food home with anyone.

It will be different this year. I don't remember when we last had something new to infuse into our family gab fest, but we do this year: Ricky's girlfriend Suzie. She hasn't met any of them and none of them have met her yet. Sarah will end up driving over on her own this year, which is another first.

When Sue was over Friday night we kept meaning to see if we could get some pictures of the full moon. I had a schedule I had obtained from the web, and when I looked out the window for the moon it was never in view. Almost an hour after the appointed time I happened to look out and what do I see? A perfect yellow-orange moon, coming up over the hill with wispy clouds and everything. Apparently I failed to take into consideration the fact that Auburn is in a valley. While the timetable may have been accurate based on the latitude and longitude, it still has to account for geography. Anyway, while we did scramble up the hill with our cameras, we missed it. Oh well, it was a learning experience.

I got off to a slow start yesterday morning, but I spent the afternoon and evening up at Sue's house. Get this: I washed my car! Can you imagine? Actually, I washed both hers and mine, and believe me they were both badly in need. I had to change the water between vehicles it was so bad. While I was washing my car I tried to think of the last time I had washed it, and I really couldn't remember. I know I haven't washed it in the last year... I finally decided that I didn't think I had. How pathetic...

We had a barbecue at her son Denny's house up the street, and afterwards watched "I am Legend". It was a pretty good day.

No comments: