Friday, March 28, 2008

Love, Death, and Tennis


I was walking across the shop yesterday right before quitting time when a coworker motioned me over.
"I know it's none of my business" he said, "...That lady up front... She your girlfriend?"
"Yes she is." I stated, still moving.
I wanted to get more info out of him as to how he figured that out but his timing was a little off and it was almost quitting time. I'm sure I'll hear more about it. As a matter of fact, now that he knows it will probably be a domino effect. Elaine said he already mentioned it to her. I wonder if it was the kisses we exchanged out in plain view (although we didn't see anybody) yesterday? Hmm... Could be.

Actually, I'm surprised it's lasted this long. It's been 3 months and nobody has "figured it out" yet.

I got an email from Melinda that greeted be this morning. As soon as I saw the subject "News about Gloria from Melinda & Danny" I knew what would greet me when I opened it. She died yesterday at 84 years old. I would say I'm sad, but in all honesty I'm relieved. She was the most tenacious person I've ever known when it comes to clinging to life. She suffered a massive stroke a number of years ago and since has been operating on only one half of her body, and in recent years has been plagued with one thing after another. The recent few months have been the hardest though, as it always seems to be when someone frail is near the end of their life. Melinda has probably put more miles under her with visiting and care giving over the years than many people put forth driving to and from their jobs. One couldn't ask for a more giving daughter. Rest in peace, Gloria... You've had a good life.

Sarah lost her tennis match yesterday amid tears of frustration. It was virtually a repeat of the previous school's match. The first set was zero on their side and the second one was neck and neck. It was very exciting and there was some good tennis played, but at the end it was lost. Too many little mistakes can add up. While both girls are very good, they don't seem to be a good match-up. Oh well, that's sports right?

Ah good... It's Friday!

No comments: