Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hump Day!


I don't normally call Wednesday Hump Day. I'm not usually a "day counter" like so many other people are that are anxious for the weekend to show up. In my case however, I am anxious. I want my woman back. Daily emails and the occasional text messages and phone calls are great, but sometimes things like that just make it harder (excuse the pun). The pace of things are work aren't making it any easier either--Things are very slow there.

I had another one of those strange things happen to me in the world of software yesterday. I must be getting older. I think I've already discussed this in the past--The irony of the fact that the only software purchase I've made in probably at least 15 years is the one that lets me pirate software via newsgroups. Well, there may soon be an addition to that lonely purchase. I've gotten to the point where I'm tired of not being able to stay with a particular antivirus package that works for me. I can get by with them for free for a while, but they always find out that certain serial numbers are bad and blacklist them. That means no more updates. What frustrates me the most about security software (that's what they're calling them all these days) is the fact that they have to always be running in the background. What that usually means is that they end up taking over your system instead of the hackers they're supposedly protecting you against. The only one I've ever used that doesn't slow your system to a crawl or seriously hamper boot or shutdown speeds is Trend Micro. Theirs used to be called PC-Cillin but now is called Trend Micro Internet Security. I had it on here (pirated of course) for about a week and loved it, but then it stopped updating (they always catch on eventually--Sometimes sooner than others). After browsing the web, I found that I can get that one at a good price, so I will eventually end up buying it (the crowd gasps in amazement) sometime soon. In the meantime I went to their site and downloaded and installed it. It's a full version that will work for one month, and by then I'll have my own.

It's yet another milestone in my life I guess. It's kind of like when a guy gets to an age when he suddenly decides he's finished working on his own car and starts paying to have it done instead. It kind of makes me picture a scene in a Star Wars movie when Alec Guinness says, "I sense a great disturbance in The Force."

1 comment:

Sue Z Q said...

Hey baby, did you check out the AVG stuff I told you about? It updates daily when you boot up, doesn't slow your machine down and - it's legitimately FREE!!
http://www.grisoft.com/
the free version only protects against viruses though, no spam or hijackers, etc. Try it, you might like it!