Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Being an Adult Sucks Sometimes


Being an adult isn't a very good thing sometimes. When you're an adult you can't just lie in bed and recover from sickness until you're totally healed. You have to go to work as soon as you are humanly able.

That's about just where I'm at now.

My Sunday night/Monday morning sleep was filled with blinding pain and coughing. The coughing probably had a lot to do with the fact that my nose wouldn't stop running and it had blood in it too. Every 10-15 minutes all night long I was sent frantically grabbing at a kleenex and wincing while I waited for my coughing to subside enough to lie back down. All during this my head felt like it had a wood maul buried up to it's handle in my left eye socket. My head hurt, my eyes hurt, my teeth hurt--You name it. It takes a lot to get me to call in sick at work--Partly due to my work ethic, and partly due to not having paid sick days. I called in sick yesterday and had no problem doing so. I would love to do that again today. I spent almost all day yesterday in the horizontal position. Apparently, it did some good because 90% of the pain and runny nose is gone, and about 50% of the wracking cough. Now I'm mostly dealing with joint/body aches and lack of energy. It's not going to be a fun day.

My blogs have taken quite a hit in the last several days--Partly due to illness and partly due to just being busy.

Friday after work found me in the garage putting the finishing touches on my Harley, getting it ready for what was supposed to be a good riding day on Saturday. I still had to finalize the rear wheel installation and put the windshield together. Everything went well and I had it put together just in time for Suzie to show up. I wanted it to be finished so we could spend our Friday night together as we always do.

She was having trouble with her brakes not wanting to release, and that usually points towards a stuck caliper. I decided that we'd address it the next morning before going for a Harley ride. A little investigation revealed that the right front was indeed hot--Much hotter than the left front one was, and that confirmed to me that the caliper was sticking badly. The next morning we wheeled & dealed with the parts house and got some new parts. We were just finishing up when Steve rode up on his Harley. It was only the second time he had ridden it since he had a knee replacement, and he had to be pretty careful and deliberate when he got on and off his bike. He and a bunch of the usual riders were going to be riding around the area (mostly bar hopping) and wanted to know if I wanted to come along. As per his usual style, he ribbed the hell out of me for being in love and changing my bike around to accommodate Suzie.

After Steve left and we hit the road on our own, we ended up making a big circle. From here we went to Spanaway, Roy, McKenna, Orting, South Prairie, Buckley, Enumclaw, and finally ended up at Sue's house for burritos. After we stuffed ourselves reasonably, we went back down to my place. I was tired so I lay down on the couch and dozed. Sue was excited to dive into her new scanner that had just arrived on Friday.

Sunday morning was filled with puttering in the garage mostly. I tore my air compressor apart to see if I could find out what's causing it to slow down as it runs, but to no avail. We found that Sue's car still wasn't fixed. Apparently she had mistakenly put some power steering fluid into the brake reservior at some point in the past. She caught herself while she was doing it and only a teeny amount got into it, but that was probably enough. She swears she told me about it when it happened a couple months ago, but I guess it didn't register with me at the time. At any rate, I did a complete flush of her brake system, giving it all new fluid to thrive on. From what she says it did the trick and the brakes all work fantastic now. That's good.

I wanna go back to bed...

No comments: