Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Getting The Jump


Almost a month ago I ordered myself a new printer (which I love BTW) on Buy.com. I was able to save an additional $50 by signing up for yet another credit card I didn't need. Fast-forward 3 weeks... Still no word from them. Call me paranoid, but I know how credit card companies like to operate. If you pay your bill in full, either early or on time, they don't make any money off you. To slant things in their favor they like to give you a very small "window" of opportunity to pay your bill on time. My experience has shown it to be typically one week until due date when the first statement will show up. Well I was getting a little concerned because I still hadn't heard anything from them, so I went online and did some digging. I was able to find the right website and register there with a password. Once I was in I found my outstanding balance of $36, but it still showed zero due. Hmm... I still didn't trust em so I paid it off right then. Yesterday things started showing up. I opened the first envelope and it was a letter explaining that they were changing banks or something, and it apologized for people with autopay setups that would have to change their information. The other thing from them that also showed up was the new credit card itself. It remained whole for approximately 30 seconds before the attack of the scissors.

Still no statement.

I did find, however, that their late fee was $35. I can just imagine that--Hit with a $35 late fee on a total bill of $36... It's possible my bill wouldn't have been due until next month, but better safe than sorry right?

Other news is Harley-related. I placed an ad on Craigslist a couple weeks ago asking if anyone wanted to swap windshield brackets. Harley makes two different varieties of brackets for my bike--For bikes with passing lights and those without passing lights. I have been communicating with a guy way up north of me and we have struck a trade. He needs the type I have and he has the type that I need. Because attaching hardware is also different between the two varieties, he is also including all the mounting bolts and hardware! That in itself is over $60 if you buy from Harley, and I just assumed I was going to have to buy that stuff regardless. Anyway, he's got his boxed up to send me today and I have mine boxed up to send as well. I included a 20-dollar bill to thank him for the hardware he's throwing in.

I'm planning to stop on the way home from work today to buy a couple tires for the hawg--We'll see if that actually comes to pass. I'll order the tires then once they're in I'll take the wheels off the bike and take them in to have them mounted one at a time. My bike is very unstable when you take both wheels off at the same time and it wants to not sit on the jack very well.

Although the weather isn't showing it very well, it's almost riding season and I have a lot to accomplish.

No comments: