Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Surprise Tennis


Yeah, it was a surprise. They don't usually have tennis on a Monday, and I had taken advantage of the opportunity by doing up a crock pot full of pork, knowing (so I thought) that I would have plenty of time to mess with dinner. I had plans of oven-roasted garlic potatoes too. I had just finished a beer and was just about to go downstairs to start prepping spuds and something made me check the online school sports calendar.

Varsity tennis at Riverside High School. Damn.

I looked at the time and it was already 3:35. With a sigh I grabbed my stuff and headed out. It was a beautiful day for it, but that didn't help them win. They played very well, but the other team played just ever so slightly better to win both sets. One of them was only won after an 11-point tie-breaker. At least I was able to deliver Teresa's child support check to her without going over to their house. Right before I left I invited Sarah over for dinner.

She didn't waste much time. Apparently she jetted right down to my house as soon as the bus got back to their school. She arrived with a skateboard (just the board) under her arm as well. It's a project in her art class that I find kind of unique. All the students buy a plain, standard curved skateboard base and decorate them any way they want. She wanted me to do a couple of coats of white gloss spray paint on the bottom side. Knowing Sarah, her board will be a knockout when she's done. I guess it's up to each student as to whether or not they actually buy hardware (wheels, etc) to finish the board when they are done, but I'd like to be able to see them all at the end of the project.

I noticed this morning that Sarah has inherited her mother's knack at missing the trash can. There were several tissues near the downstairs bathroom trash can, but none in it. Between the two of them, it explains why their house looks the way it does I guess...

No comments: