Thursday, April 10, 2008

Powder Power


My mind works strangely--At least to me it does. For all I know, everybodys mind works strangely. Mine tends to be somewhat fragmented. Did you ever hear about the book, "If you give a moose a muffin"? That's kind of how my mind works. It skips around.

Take yesterday morning for example. I was on my way to work and was a little miffed when I found pretty heavy ice on the windshield that I had to scrape. When I was nearing work and drove by a local 7-Eleven, I remembered I wanted to stop for gum. The problem was because I scraped the ice before leaving home I no longer had time to make a gum stop. While thinking about gum, my mind went rummaging in my desk drawer at work where I keep the gum, then left actually left the desk drawer and wandered to my boots sitting under the table waiting for me. That's when I remembered that my boots were starting to squeak yesterday before I left work. Hey wait a minute, I used to have a thing (this is what we call a container when we don't know what else to call it) of Dr. Scholl's foot powder in my tool box there, didn't I?

When I got to work and sat down to put my boots on I remembered, "Oh yeah... Foot powder." I opened up my tool box and looked around and there it was. It hadn't been used in a while and it was pretty hard to spin the top to line the "shake holes" up so I could pour it. My work boots have insoles in them and they are usually what squeaks so I took them both out and sprinkled a decent amount of powder in the boots before putting them back in. I'm the kind of person that believes in doing anything I can to increase personal comfort if I can (like my using hand cream at work, having my own easy chair for lunch, etc.) so naturally I'm going to put powder in the boots before putting my feet in them too right? Of course. I didn't skimp either. I used lots of it.

Ahhh...

It's funny how something like that can make you smile. I spent the day being constantly reminded about how great my feet felt every time I walked somewhere. Every time I bolted out of my chair back onto my feet I noticed the difference. It truly put my into a good mood. I put a lot of miles on walking all around that place, and even though I wear Red Wing boots (far and away the most comfortable boots I have ever owned in my life) it can still take its toll on feet.

I don't know if I owe my revelation of foot powder ownership to scraping ice or missing gum or what, but I know I'm going to leave it out as a reminder and use it again. And again.

No comments: