Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Under and Around the Weather


My work day got off to a weird start yesterday. I was feeling pretty good when I got there, but it did a 180° pretty quickly.

One of my coworkers moves the trucks out every morning, and when he tugged on the chain of the door nearest my desk the small chain came off the gear mechanism way up above. Because the van was still inside and in the way of using a forklift to repair it we were forced to use a giant ladder. Let me tell you, that ladder is heavy and long. By the time we got it in place, repaired the chain, then put the ladder back down and stowed, I had a huge throbber of a headache. I never got rid of it all day long.

During the course of the last several days I've been dealing with something I did to my ribcage. I was coming down the stairs one morning (I think it was Thursday) and my foot slipped off the bottom step, sending me off balance. Somehow I hit hard on the end of the steel banister a few inches above my left nipple. Ow. I never got any visible bruising, but I definitely did something there because I haven't been able to take a deep breath without pain ever since. I figure I bruised a rib or cracked one, and any time you do something like that it effects movement, strength, and breathing. Not much sense in ever going to a doctor for something like that though, because they just give you a prescription and tell you take it easy. Anyway, add that to yesterday's headache and I was having a fun day.

Yesterday was a scheduled tennis match in Sumner, about 15 minutes south of home. As usual, Teresa texted me and asked if I was going, hoping to get a ride. I replied that I was going on the Harley and never heard back. This is our shower time of year, and Sarah texted me from there saying they had just arrived and the courts were soaked so they weren't sure if they'd play or not. I decided I'd go for it anyway, figuring it would be a good excuse for a ride. I started to have second thoughts when I saw huge rain squalls sweeping the area I was headed toward, but I kept going. When I got there it actually was pretty decent, but even though the sun came and went, it was cold because of wind. When I got there they hadn't gotten the courts totally dry yet. By about 4:30 they were just starting to play, but by that time the clouds were looking pretty bad and I was feeling a little vulnerable. I told Sarah I was going to take off and see if I could beat the rain back home. Fortunately I did beat it--Only catching a few sporadic drops here and there.

When I got home I didn't feel well and ended up taking a nap for a while. I never got anything done that I wanted to do yesterday, and that frustrated me. I hope I have a better day today. At least I awoke to a smile when I saw Suzie's blog post.

I needed that.

1 comment:

Rhon said...

Ricky,

Watch those steps, its not the first time they have tripped you up. You don't wanna be hurt during the most beautiful time of the year.

Rhon