Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Finality of Divorce Draws Closer...


Could it be that the end (or beginning as I like to say) is near?

I stopped in yesterday after work and perused and signed all the divorce papers. I spent about an hour reading through all the legalese and signed my life away. No wait... I signed my marriage away--That's quite a difference! Teresa will be signing all of hers on Friday, at which time it all goes before the court for the final seal of approval or whatever.

You know how more and more places, cities, and counties require you to attend a quick "pre-marriage" counseling session? Usually it's with a "holy man" of some kind. Funny though--I think a better pre-marriage thing would be to introduce people to the process of divorce before marriage. That way they can see how that meager fee and those one or two pieces of paper you have to sign when you get married could turn into a mountain of paperwork, expense, red tape, entanglements, and arguing. I think it would make people think long and hard about whether it's true love and compatability or not.

I'm very lucky in my divorce (as far as divorces go). We have seldom argued about anything during the splitting process. I'm sure we'll have our little spats here and there when it comes to who's going to pay for what or how much when it comes to various expenses related to Sarah. We're still getting along fine too. I called Teresa after I got home and told her how to find the lawyer's new address and we talked about a few fees and things. It's going well.

I don't know if I should have a party or what when my divorce is final. It just seems so uneventful. As far as I was concerned, the fact that I was out and living on my own was the cause for a party back in February. I seriously considered it, but for various reasons I nixed the idea. Not the least of which was the fact that I had hardly any furniture then. Also, I have to consider who I'm inviting because many of my friends are also her friends. When I think about it though, it's really a moot point, because I wouldn't bad mouth Teresa nor would I allow anyone else to do it. I don't know... I'll have to think about the possibility of a party.

No comments: