Friday, August 11, 2006

Tweezers, Modems, and Harleys


Say what? Tweezers?!

I work in a business that continuously plagues some of us with the tiniest of metal slivers--The ones that are so small that you're lucky to even see them, let alone get them out. Some time ago I borrowed a little tweezer from a coworker and was floored by the precision and quality of it. And it came in a cute little leatherette pouch thingy to keep it in too. He didn't know where it was bought at because it was given to him by a family member. Anyway, I finally did a web search and after some digging, found it. It's made by La Cross, and it turns out that it's available in any Walgreens Drugs. I stopped on the way to work yesterday morning and bought 3 of em. They were on sale at only 2.99 each, so now I've got one at work, one in the bathroom, and one in the garage.
Here's a link to em: The Killer Tweezers

Since my cable internet was installed a month or two ago, I've been experiencing constant problems. Sometimes the connection would reset, sometimes the modem would reset... I could be on Yahoo chatting and it was like I instantly logged out and back in again. It was frustrating. It really pissed me off when I couldn't pirate any software or music because it wouldn't stay connected long enough to download the list of things to pick from to even download. I spent some time talking to a techie on the phone a few days ago, and he suggested I try one of Comcast's rented modems for a day or two and see if that cures it. Well, it turns out that Circuit City had a new Motorola on sale, and it was only $40 after rebate. I did a little web checking and found that it offered significant improvements over the old Motorola I've been using for over 5 years, so even if it didn't cure the problem, it would be a good upgrade.
I stopped on the way home and bought it, and when I got home and plugged it in. Not only is my connection twice as fast as before, the problem is gone. No more disconnects! Now the only problem I have is the damn rebate things (there are two $20 rebates to send in)... And good ol' Circuit City has receipts that are like a foot long, making it very hard for the average consumer to make the necessary copy to send in. I usually scan it split it into two pieces and print it, but this time I'll go ahead and take it to work and try it. I hate rebates.

I took the Harley out for a ride last night, and went to a bike-friendly tavern about 25 miles out of town. It's a nice enough place, and they have "Taco Thursday" every week to entice people to go. It was a great ride, but the weather was only about 70 degrees, which is cool for August, so the turnout was low. I'd say around 100 or so were there when I left. I only stayed for a couple beers. The only other time I've ever been there was 3 weeks ago, and that day was hot, and there were at least 200 bikes if not more than that. I had the tacos that first time too, but decided that they were very boring and generic, even if you did get to make em yourself.

I think I'll ride the hawg to work today... That will make it a good day when work ends, no matter how the actual day goes.

No comments: