Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Vote for Single-Floor Homes


I've lived here since February and I travel the stairs what seems like a thousand times a day. There have been a few close calls, but so far I haven't taken a tumble like they do in movies.

Yet.

I had one episode where I misjudged a step near the center landing and when down hard against the railing on the far side. There have been many times where a foot slips off a step as I'm going up, but not enough to bring me down. I seldom have any lights on in the stairwell for the simple fact that I'm always naked (there's a window near there), and that sure doesn't help matters any. Just a few minutes ago I had another stairs incident to put in the report, only this one involved my second cup of morning coffee. I missed the very first step after rounding the corner to start of the stairs, causing me to stumble and slosh (fortunately not spill) my coffee on the carpeted steps. I believe it's my first actual spill on the carpet since I've lived here. What pissed me off is that when I was trying to swab up the spill, I sloshed more. I finally sighed, put the coffee cup down, and went into the kitchen to get a wet rag to do the job right.

Yesterday I was coming down the stairs and heard (and felt) a pop in my left ankle. My left ankle make popping noise all the time going down stairs, but this time it was a little different. All day yesterday I had a dull throb in my ankle from it. Same today, and slipping on the lower step didn't help any either...

I don't know if I mentioned or not, but after Sarah and I went through all my movies this weekend, I sat down at the computer and ordered up a few of them from the King County library to replace some of the inferior ones that we each wanted copies of. Monday I got an email saying I had two of them ready for pickup (I think I requested about 12 of them). I decided I'd wait because chances are there would be more in the next day or so. Yesterday morning I had another email from them saying two more were in. Okay, now it's worth stopping in for, so I hit them on the way home from work. Surprise! Not four movies, but nine! Jeez. So I started in on archiving them. I like to "re-author" them to take only the movie and leave all the previews and special features behind. That way when you put a movie in, it goes right to it and starts playing. Movie menus can be such a pain in the ass to navigate sometimes. Don't even get me started on the frustration of previews you have to flip through.

Well, just about time to get some clothes on (sigh) and go to work. I hope my ankle eases up a bit.

No comments: